Sunday 21 April 2013

In my recent wanderings in the forests on both sides of Lynn Creek in North Vancouver, I often switch from black and white to colour for similar images. Because our brains see in colour, it seems the obvious choice especially considering the riot of shades of green, blues and earth tones which fill the forest. Black and white, however, is simply light, dark and the shades in between. Instead of responding to colour sensations and combinations, I find this limitation forces my eye to seek out abstractions, details,  patterns and simplicity in form, line and light.
With the advent of digital technology, we can fairly easily convert colour files to black and white ones, however I still find nothing quite resonates like the tonal range in black and white film especially in the larger sizes.
Here are two images where I switched film backs for the same image...



I know this is old technology now, but 20 + years ago this was pretty amazing to be able to carry 3 different film types in separate backs and switch mid roll depending on what image you were after.
Bronica ETRS, 75mm F2.8 lens, Fuji Provia 100 and Ilford Delta 100 film.

No comments:

Post a Comment